Department Of History
History encompasses a very dynamic range of study i.e. past, present and future. It analyses the present in the light of the past with a view to the future. The study of History provides an opportunity to know the complexities of the present with greater sensitivity. This, in turn, shapes the mind of the students for broader and better understanding of the world around them. History not only covers the biological evolution of mankind from about 5 million years ago till date, but also covers the cultural evolution in terms of evolution of architecture, painting, sculpture, music, dance, drama, human relations within community and outside. Besides, it covers inter alia state formations, nation building, colonial struggles, freedom movements, world wars, globalization, etc , both in the context of India and the world. Students get the opportunity to have a career in various fields viz, Teaching, Publishing, Administrative Services, Archaeology, Mass Media, and Travel and Tourism along with Journalism.
Year of establishment: 1952
- Names of Courses offered: B.A.(Hons.) History
- Names of Interdisciplinary courses and the departments/units involved: Department of Economics, English, Hindi, Mathematics, Philosophy, Political Science and Sanskrit.
- Annual/ semester/choice based credit system (programme wise): Semester.
- Dr. Anil Kumar Jha, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D., Associate Professor (Teacher-In charge)
- Dr. Sabita Singh, M.A., Ph.D., Associate Professor
- Ms. Neelam Malhotra, M.A., M.Phil., Associate Professor
- Dr. Achla Bharti, M.A., Ph.D., Associate Professor
- Mr. AshwiniShankar, M.A., M.Phil., Associate Professor
- Ms. Suvritta Khatri, M.A., Associate Professor
- Dr. S.M. Jha, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D., Associate Professor
- Mr. Ashutosh Kumar, M.A., M.Phil., Assistant Professor
- Dr. Neeraja Bhatt, M.Phil., PhD., Assistant Professor
- Dr. Laxmi Narayan Meena, M.Phil., PhD., Assistant Professor
- Dr. Sushmita, M.Phil., PhD., Assistant Professor
- Ms. Urvashi Gautam, M.A., M.Phil., Assistant Professor
- “History Society” is a student’s body advised and guided by the teachers of the department. Every year it organizes academic as well as cultural activities which are a huge attraction for students from across the University.
- The department conducts seminars, workshops, excursions every year for the benefit of the students which provide excellent opportunity for students to have a closer interface with the faculty. The yearly History Department festival “Purvalokan” engages student from the various departments of college to students from various colleges of University of Delhi.
- Keynote speech by Professor R. S Aggarwal ICHR Fellow on 15th March 2016.
- Lecture by Professor Ranabir Chakravarty, JNU on “Changing Character of the Varna-Jati System with special reference to Early Medieval Times” on 16th March 2016.
- College Library
- Department library
- Internet facilities for Staff and Students
Copyright © 2016 Deshbandhu College. All Rights Reserved.