Department of English
The English Department offers an amalgamation of literary and cultural forms through the study of English texts from the British Isles along with works outside the canon such as African, Australian, American, Ancient Greek, Indian, etc. The course involves a thorough study of the forms of literature like drama, poetry, prose, short stories, etc. coupled with genres such as Autobiography, Travel-Writing, Essays, Science Fiction, Films, etc. Studying literature involves the ability to place literary texts in their wider intellectual, psychological, social, cultural and historical contexts. It allows the students to understand how literature converse with other art forms and other areas of study within Social Sciences and Humanities. It also requires the students to develop the critical processes by which they analyze, judge and simultaneously learn about literary form and technique. The department runs an exclusive English Department Library so as to make recent publications, articles, books and journals available to the students so that they can undertake research and use the communicative and analytical skills to a range of careers including Advertising, Acting, Publishing, Teaching, Mass Communication, Public Relations, Journalism, Literary Studies, etc.
Year of establishment: 1952
- Names of Courses offered: B.A.(Hons.) English, M.A English
- Names of Interdisciplinary courses and the departments/units involved: Department of Commerce, Economics, Hindi, History, Mathematics, Philosophy, Political Science and Sanskrit.
- Participation of the department in the courses offered by other departments: Department of Commerce , Economics, Hindi, History, Mathematics, Philosophy, Political Science and Sanskrit, Technical Writing and Communication in English in B.Sc.(Hons.), Bio-Chemistry, Botany, Chemistry, Physics, Zoology and B.Sc. (Computer Science).
- Ms. Manisha Sagar, M.A., Assistant Professor (Teacher-In charge)
- Ms. Nalini Khanna M.A., Associate Professor
- Ms. Elizabeth Thomas, M.A., M.Phil., Associate Professor
- Ms. Sherina Joshi, M.A., M.Phil., Associate Professor
- Ms. Preeti Gupta Dewan, M.A., M.Phil., Associate Professor
- Dr. Sunita Sarin M.A., Ph.D., Associate Professor
- Mr. Krishnan Unni P., M.A., M.Phil., Assistant Professor
- Dr. Ajanta Dutta, M.A., B.Ed., Ph.D., Assistant Professor
- Ms. Vandana Mathur, M.A., M.Phil., Assistant Professor (ON STUDY LEAVE)
- Mr. Purshottam Das, M.A., Assistant Professor
- Dr. Varsha K. Singh, M.A., Ph.D., Assistant Professor
- Mr. Saswata Bhattacharya, M.A., M.Phil., Assistant Professor
- Ms. Pavitra Poorna, M.A., M.Phil., Assistant Professor
- The English Literary Society “INKLING” actively organizes Lectures, Seminars and Literary Festivals.
- Library: Department runs an exclusive English Department Library to make recent publications, articles, books and journals available to the students.
- Internet facilities for staff and students available
- Class rooms with ICT facility
Copyright © 2016 Deshbandhu College. All Rights Reserved.