Department of Botany
The Department of Botany has created a niche for itself in the college by achieving high repute in academic and co-curricular activities. Enriched by the legacy of some very renowned teachers in the past, the department is proud to have a committed faculty which excels in research, bookwriting and teaching. With three well- equipped, state-of-the laboratories and a museum. The
department inculcates scientific and experimental spirit in the students. Also, the department has its own library that supplements the main college library. The Department pursues a mantra of holistic development of a student, inculcation of a scientific temper by supplementing the conventional classroom and modern teaching with botanical excursions, seminars, guest lectures by eminent scientists, slide shows, documentary films, quiz competitions, scientific debates etc. to help the students metamorphose his personality. Furthermore, the activities of the Botanical Society give opportunities to students to develop and display their talents. Botany being an important component to life Sciences, offers immense opportunities for further studies in Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Plants Molecular Biology, Genomics, Agroforestry, Environmental Science and other related fields. The Department boats of many eminent alumni, who occupy important academic and professional positions in India and abroad.
Year of establishment: 1954
- Names of Programmes/ Courses offered: B.Sc. (Hons)Botany and B.Sc. Life Sciences
- Interdisciplinary courses and the departments/units involved: B.Sc. (Life Science) with Department of Chemistry, Zoology, and Environmental Studies.
- Participation of the department in the courses offered by other departments: B.Sc. Applied Physical Science (Industrial Chemistry), B.Sc. (Life Science), B.Sc. (Physical Science), Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, Zoology
- Dr. Roshni Rajamohan, M.Sc., B.Ed., Assistant Professor (Teacher-in-charge)
- Dr. E. Chauhan, M.Sc., Ph.D., Associate Professor
- Dr. Meenakshi Prajneshu, M.Sc., Ph.D., Associate Professor
- Dr. Veena Ganju, M.Sc., Ph.D., Associate Professor
- Dr. Sarla M.Sc., Ph.D., Associate Professor
- Dr. Bela Bhatia, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D., Associate Professor
- Dr. Dharmendra Mallick M.Sc., Ph.D. Assistant Professor
- Dr. Kumar Shantanu, M.Sc., M. Phil., Ph.D., Assistant Professor
- Dr. Rajender Kumar, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D., Assistant Professor
- Dr. Aparna Nautiyal, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D., Assistant Professor
- Library: The department has an actively functioning library managed by the Botanical Society which has a collection of more than 300 books
- Internet facilities for Staff and students is available
- Class rooms with ICT facility
- One lecture theatre
- Laboratories: Three laboratories and one Museum
- The department publishes the magazine “PETALS” annually under the aegis of the Botanical Society where students are encouraged and guided to write scientific and literary articles.
- The Society organizes an annual festival ‘SANJIVANI’ and publishes an annual magazine ‘PETALS’.
- Department of Botany and Zoology jointly organized a National Symposium onVector Biology and Vector Management (Innovation Project, DU) held at Deshbandhu College, Kalkaji, New Delhi 110019 on June 21, 2013.
- Department of Botany was involved in organizing “INSPIRE Internship Program2012, at Deshbandhu College, University of Delhi, held from October 1-5, 2012. It was also involved in organizing “INSPIRE Internship Program-2013, at Deshbandhu College, University of Delhi, held from December 16-20, 2013.
- Department of Botany, Zoology and Biochemistry jointly organized “Workshop on Applied Genomics and Proteomics” at Deshbandhu College, University of Delhi, in association with Bio-Rad, held from March 12-14, 2014.
- Lecture on “Genes Controlling Flowering in Arabidopsis and Rice” by Prof. J. P. Khurana fromDepartment of Plant Molecular Biology, South Campus, University of Delhi onSeptember 1, 2009.
- Lecture on “Algae in Climate Change and Sustainable Livelihood Generation” by Dr.Dinabandhu Sahoo from Department of Botany, University of Delhi on February 8,2010.
- Lecture on “India’s future water challenges” by Dr. M. Gopalakrishnan, Secretary General,International committee on Irrigation and Drainage, New Delhi on September 15th2010.
- A lecture by Prof. N.S. Rangaswamy, Department of Botany, University of Delhi, was organized on April 5, 2011.
- Lecture on "Does Nothing in Biology Make Sense Except in Context of Evolution" by Prof.R. Geeta, Departt. of Botany, University of Delhi, September, 2012.
- Lecture on “Conservation of Nature and its Natural Resources” by Dr. Prem Lal Uniyalfrom Department of Botany, University of Delhi on September 24, 2013.
- Lecture on “Social Consequences of Biotechnology” by Dr. Rajendra Gupta, Centre forScience and Culture, on September, 18, 2014.
Copyright © 2016 Deshbandhu College. All Rights Reserved.